Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Christmas Caroling...With Benefits...?


Dear Family and Friends,

     The past week has been full of so many blessings! It certainly had its hiccups along the way, but I am always so grateful to see the hand of the Lord in the countless wonderful things that are happening. Unfortunately Elder Garcia was out sick for the first half of the week, making our work a bit trickier. Consequently I ended up going on companionship exchanges with Elder Barrado (one of my apartment mates) for a few days in a row in order to try and keep our work going. The Christmas season is definitely a busy time in the Philippines as it is most other places. A lot of people are gone or busy, so our teaching opportunities were more limited than usual, but we definitely didn't stop trying the entire week. 
     I loved finally getting to watch the First Presidency Christmas Devotional last week, and President Nelson's invitation to more fully accept Christ's gifts to us struck me very strongly. Truly all the Savior wants for us is to find true happiness in this life and eternity. That's the purpose behind everything he has ever done. What a profound love that is. And it is equally profound that the best way we can accept His gifts and show our love for Him is to follow His example and focus on loving others instead of ourselves. I love this totally simple yet most powerful truth about eternity. And I love the reminders of the Christmas season to consider the Savior's plan for us, instead of our plans for ourselves.
     Though it is sad to say, I don't think I'm going to see much snow this Christmas. But on the flip side of things, there are lots of Christmas carolers here...pretty much everywhere here... :) But unlike the Christmas carolers from my home, these children aren't asking for figgy pudding. Rather, they expect money in exchange for their singing.   They are very cute and I feel kind of guilty because I'm not allowed to give them money as a missionary, but I do kind of have to laugh... I never thought of caroling as a lucrative business before now. :P 
     I wish I could visit home just briefly, because I just became an uncle this past week! But I am so grateful to be here serving the Lord, and I will look forward to meeting my niece when I return home. I hope this Christmas season finds you well and happy, and know that I am praying for you to feel the Savior's love during this time of remembrance of Him. Merry Christmas to you all!

 Love, Elder Dickison

P.S. Just a couple of pictures this week from the stage in our chapel.




No comments:

Post a Comment

A Brief Testimony

Dear Friends and Family,        The last couple of weeks have been very busy and full of lots of unexpected things, but life is never bori...