Monday, December 10, 2018

Maligayang Pasko!

Dear Family and Friends,

     I can hardly believe there's only two more weeks until Christmas Eve... As a matter of fact, last night the Agoo city government put up a whole bunch of Christmas lights and decorations in the central city plaza, and upon first seeing the new lights, I couldn't figure out why they were there. Despite the fact there there were a bunch of stars and flashing reindeer. I think I need help. :P
     This past Friday, we were able to have our annual mission Christmas conference in Baguio city proper! This was a nice change of pace after seeing the same sights and walking the same paths for almost 4 straight months. We woke up ridiculously early in the morning (3:30) and rode in a van up the mountains with the most insane driver I have ever seen or heard of. (I'm pretty sure we were going 90 mph around tight mountain curves with steep drop offs). Good thing we have missionary protection. :) The conference itself included games, a talent show and the all-important-arrival of Santa Clause (see pictures below). Activities aside, it was a great opportunity to have a brief reunion with many of the missionaries who arrived in the mission with me, and to get to meet new missionaries as well!
     Much of the message of the conference was focused on loving others as our first priority. It was good for me to hear the quote "Never let a problem to be solved become more important that a person to be loved" from President Monson. Sometimes in the midst of my frustrations with others, I know I become more focused on what the others is doing wrong, rather than focusing on how I can lovingly help them to improve and support them in the good things they are doing. Jesus Christ's example to us is of course one of great patience, but also one of always exhorting and helping to do good. The more I ponder on this idea, the more convinced I become that sitting in frustration with other's problems and flaws is pointless and foolish (no matter who the person causing the problem is). The best thing we can do for others and for ourselves is to obey Jesus' commandment, "Feed my Sheep." Only by loving, serving and exhorting others unto righteousness can we find fulfillment in any situation.
     Yesterday, Sister Joy and Brother Jason once again made it to church, and I am again to humbled by their true desire to follow the Savior. I am privately hoping to be able to witness personally their baptism, though I may be transferred to another area before the happens. At any rate, Elder Garcia and I have a baptism scheduled for the 22nd of December for one of the Part-Member-Families in our ward, so hopefully we will be able to baptize at least once more person before I leave Agoo. Truly the Lord's vineyard is a wonderful place to work, no matter how hot the sun may sometimes be! Thank you for your prayers and support, and may God bless you in the season of remembrance of the Lord, Jesus Christ!

Love, Elder Dickison

Pictures this Week:
1) Elders Dickison and Hollister. Elder Hollister is my mission grandfather (my trainer's trainer).
2) Reunion with Elder Villipaz. When my trainer was sick in the hospital, Elder Villipaz temporarily served in my area with me.
3) All missionaries present at the conference who arrived with me in the Baguio Mission.
4) Elder Dickison and Santa Clause (in the flesh :)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Brief Testimony

Dear Friends and Family,        The last couple of weeks have been very busy and full of lots of unexpected things, but life is never bori...