Monday, December 10, 2018

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Kittens...

Dear Family and friends,

     Transfers have arrived here in the Bagiuo Mission, and turns out my situation isn't changing! For the first time in my mission, I will actually be with one companion, Elder Garcia, for more than one transfer. I was honestly hoping not to change areas, because we have the baptism of Marianne this coming Saturday! I'm so excited to finally have a baptism in my own area, for the first time in my mission! Considering how short a time Marianne has been investigating the church, the depth of her conversion is profound! She attends every meeting she can and even joined in a Relief Society service project last week. Truly the Spirit has spoken to her heart that the gospel is true, and she is willing to follow that testimony where ever it takes her. I'll be sure to send pictures of the baptism next week!
     In other random news, Elder Garcia and I were walking between appointments earlier this week, when we suddenly heard pitiful mewling coming from the roadside. After some searching in the grass, we found an abandoned kitten. Being a cat lovers and probably too soft, we decided to bring the kitten back home and feed it to make sure it didn't die. Keeping pets is not allowed as missionaries, but there was already a litter of kittens living with our landlady below us, so we figured we would just let this lost kitten join the others downstairs. This plan worked brilliantly until we realized that the kitten we found was twice as big as the other kittens and something of a bully. Every time the smaller kittens went to feed from their mother, the lost-and-found kitten batted them away, trying to take all the milk for itself. So...we're still trying to train the adopted kitten how to let the other kittens eat too...it's a work in progress. :P Daily life here is filled with lots of such random situations, and every time I find myself asking, "How in the world did it come to this?"
    Our teaching pool has been changing a lot recently as we continue to sort out which of the people we've taught are really interested in the gospel, and which are just too polite to say "No, I'm not interested. Please go away." This is the trickiest problem in most of the Philippines missions. Many people will listen, few will act. However, occasionally God puts people in our path who are so ready it practically knocks my socks off. As we've continued to meet with and teach Sister Marianne and Brother Renaldo (the man with the dirt stairs), I am truly astounded by their humility and desire to find the truth. Frequently during our lessons with Renaldo, he has such meek or profound answers to our question that I say to myself "Holy Smokes, this man is holier than I am, and I'm a missionary!" Truly the blessings of the Lord are poured out upon those who are willing to receive them, like Renaldo. And despite the many weaknesses of Elder Garcia and myself, the Lord is providing wonderful opportunities to teach, help and grow. Truly He is helping "weak things become strong" according to His own promise. We just have to strive hard, and find the good in every day. :)
    In an effort to avoid novelizing, I'll probably stop there. I love so much being in the Philippines, striving to do the work of the Lord! It is unquestionably the hardest task I have ever undertaken, but the fruits of the labor are equally as wonderful. Truly I am learning that fulfillment is found in doing the Lord's work. Thank you so much for all of your prayers and support! Take care, and I'll look forward to writing again soon!

 Love, Elder Dickison

Pictures:
1) Elder Dickison and the lost kitten in the dark
2) Elder Garcia's version of talking on the phone :P
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Brief Testimony

Dear Friends and Family,        The last couple of weeks have been very busy and full of lots of unexpected things, but life is never bori...