Wednesday, March 13, 2019

New Year, New Area, New Trainee...Here we go!

Dear Family and Friends,

     Happy New Year! With this arriving year, there are all sorts of changes arriving in my missionary work. I have been transferred from Agoo up into the mountains of Baguio! Officially, I am in the La Trinidad Zone of our mission, but my new area, Guisad, is essentially part of Baguio city proper. This move has brought a major change in sights and people... going from a very rural area to a highly urbanized one. I'm currently writing from a computer shop in a 10 story building, instead of the tiny, dinky computer shop in Agoo. I'm not much of a city boy...but I love the people, so everything will be great. :)
 In addition to moving areas, I have been asked to become a trainer! My trainee is not yet in the mission, so I don't know who he is yet, but he will arrive later this week, so I will be sure to give an update on him in my next email. For the time being, I am in a trioship with two other Elders, one of whom I arrived in the mission with me. I'll admit...I feel pretty inadequate as far as training a new missionary goes. But, I am determined to provide a constructive, friendly and helpful companionship and environment for my trainee. Hopefully with lots of prayer and guidance from the Holy Spirit, that will be enough.
     The past week of crazy Fililpino Christmas celebrations was fun, though it was honestly quite difficult to get good missionary work done. Almost everyone we visited or talked to seemed to be partying, singing Videoke or drunk, making teaching nigh impossible. Elder Garcia and I were however able to visit our recent convert, Sister Maria Cardona, and I was truly touched by her desire to share the gospel with her family. She literally spent about an hour just telling us about all her plans to help her children start coming to church with her and learn about the gospel. :) She is an incredibly sincere and devoted person, and it was (is) hard to leave her and the other people we were teaching. I suppose the excitement of moving and gaining new experiences is always kind of tainted by the sadness of leaving behind meaningful people and experiences.
     All in all, my experiences in Agoo have convinced my beyond and shadow of a doubt that the Gospel is true. As I've watched it work miracles is the lives of others and in myself, my testimony has been greatly strengthened. Particularly in this time of many new and unknown things, I will be relying on important things I have learned and the supporting hand of God to do His work. Thank you for your prayers, support and good wishes. I truly do feel their sustaining effect. Please take care, and enjoy the New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Brief Testimony

Dear Friends and Family,        The last couple of weeks have been very busy and full of lots of unexpected things, but life is never bori...