Monday, August 20, 2018

Explosions Anyone?

"Are you able to go shooting on P day?  We have a great time blowing up bombs with AR-15's out in the dessert."
-Brother Driggs (ward missionary)

"We would love too! But we aren't allowed to go shooting sadly.... so we'll have to pass"
- Elder Smart and I

Missionary work in Cave Creek in a nutshell.

Anyways, this week we've seen some awesome progress made through miracles the Lord has provided. A couple of weeks ago, I was finally provided with a loaner bicycle from the Scottsdale Mission. However, due to the temperature and gigantic size of our area, Elder Smart and I have been rather hesitant to use our bikes. Finaly, (after being slightly told off...) we decided to follow our mission leaders' instructions and use the bikes. I don't think I've ever been as sweaty as that in my entire life...but blessings did result! We found were able to sit down and visit with a really interesting man. He's a retired playwright named Bruce with lots of questions about religion in general. We were able to give him a book of Mormon, discuss it with him and committ him to read it. We're hopeful that when we go back to visit again, good things will continue to come of it. :) Had we not been on bikes, Elder Smart and I would not have been in that area to meet Bruce, so it was a good opportunity for me to learn of the blessings of following the instructions of my leaders (obedience) even when it seems like they want me to end up as a bleached skeleton on the side of the road.

Member missionary efforts have also made an HUGE difference for us this week. The forequoted Brother Driggs and a couple other awesome members have done everything from coming with us on visits, going finding with us and bringing people to church for us! Because of these efforts, we were able to get a member to church who hadn't been since 1958! Proof that missionary-minded members can and do make all the difference in the work of bringing people unto God.

At long last, after weeks of hearing nothing, the visa news has started to trickle through. At least two of my MTC disrict-mates have had their visas approved, and another one has definitely not been approved yet. As of the writing of this letter, I still have yet to hear anything about my own status. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or a bad thing...but I'm hopeful that I will at least have some more information soon. As before, I trust that whatever is meant to happen will happen. As with some things in life, the status of my visa is currently out of my control. So all there is to be done is trust in the Lord's plan and work my hardest to fulfill my calling.

Though it will require me to develop further patience and faith if I'm in Scottsdale for another 6 weeks (or longer), I am still so happy to be out serving God's children every day. Getting to know new people every day and seeing their awesome character traits in action has really helped to grow my love for the people here in Cave Creek. No matter when or why I leave this area, I will miss their smiling faces and funny quirks. Truly all of us are children of God with amazing beauty and potential. Never forget that. :) Take care until next week!

Love, Elder Dickison 

Pictures include:
1) The panorama of a lifetime from the top of Black Mountain
2) Biking in the desert...for fun :)

Addendum 1: I just got an email literally 37 seconds ago from the Scottsdale mission office saying that my visa is on the way! A travel itinerary has been issued, and I'm headed to the the Philippines next Monday the 20th! Yaa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Brief Testimony

Dear Friends and Family,        The last couple of weeks have been very busy and full of lots of unexpected things, but life is never bori...